Cougs Feeding Cougs
NOTICE: April 25, 2018
Unfortunately, the current Cougs Feeding Cougs funds are not sufficient to support student needs for an extended period of time. We have disabled the ability to request funds.
If you, or your friends are going to have unused RDA dollars at the end of the school year, please consider donating them to the Cougs Feeding Cougs fund to support your fellow Cougs. We also encourage past recipients who may have some extra money to donate at this time to help those who are struggling to finish the semester. Pay it forward!
At any given moment in time, there are a number of WSU students who are concerned about where their next meal will come from. It is estimated that nearly half of all college students in the U.S. are insecure about reliable access to food, especially affordable and nutritious food.*
The prevalence of food insecurity among WSU students has prompted the ASWSU Senate to adopt a resolution in support of food insecurity solutions in the Pullman community.
What is Food Insecurity?
Food insecurity is defined as the state of being without reliable access to a sufficient quantity of affordable and nutritious food. Learn more at Feeding America's website or on the USDA Food Security Information website.
Who is eligible for assistance through Cougs Feeding Cougs?
This program is open to currently enrolled WSU Pullman students who
- Do not have ready access to money with which to buy food.
- Have a combined balance of $10.00 or less in Cougar CASH and Residence Dining Accounts. Check your balances using the GET App on your mobile device.
- Have previously received Cougs Feeding Cougs funds, but must have less than $3 left to spend in those funds and a combined balance of $10.00 or less in Cougar CASH and RDA.
- Have not already requested Cougs Feeding Cougs funds today.
WSU athletes on scholarship are encouraged to consult the WSU Athletic Compliance Office to be certain that use of the Cougs Feeding Cougs program will not affect athletic eligibility.
If you meet eligibility above, you can request assistance. You will receive an email notification at your WSU email address indicating when funds are available for use.
Students experiencing a continual financial hardship are encouraged to contact their local Student Financial Services office to discuss possible options. Learn more about Student Financial Services.
If I'm not eligible but still need help, what can I do?
- Contact Financial Aid
- Palouse Fresh Food Project
- Palouse-Clearwater Food Coalition
- Community Action Center
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- WSU TRIO Food Pantry
- WSU Women's Resource Center Food Pantry in Wilson Hall
How do eligible program users stay anonymous?
An important aspect of Cougs Feeding Cougs is to ensure students feel safe to request assistance. The system does use your network ID to confirm you meet the eligibility requirements and to deposit funds into a Cougs Feeding Cougs account for you. Beyond that, no one else is aware you have those funds, so to a cashier, it will appear as though you have a regular RDA or Cougar CASH account.
How can I give to the program?
WSU Students who are current RDA holders can donate a maximum total of $20 in RDA funds prior to the last six weeks of the Spring 2018 semester through the RDA / Cougar CASH submission page. When there are only six weeks left in a semester, students can donate any unused amount.
Charitable Giving Information
Donors may choose from three levels of recognition as they complete the submission form.
- I would like my gift to be recognized through the WSU Foundation and receive a tax receipt.
- I only want a tax receipt and no recognition.
- I would like to remain anonymous.
I didn’t use all of the money I received, what do I do?
Any funds that are remaining after the five days will be returned to the general fund to be used to assist another student in need.
I have requested funds but do not see any money in my account.
The deposit of funds should happen within a few minutes of your request. If you've allowed for this time and you still do not have a deposit, please contact the CougarCard Center at 509-335-2273.
Where can I spend my funds?
Cougs Feeding Cougs dollars can be used at any WSU Dining Services locations including:
- Dining Centers - Hillside Café, Northside Café, and Southside Café, these locations provide the best value with 40% discount with Cougs Feeding Cougs funds
- Markets - The Market on Cougar Way, Hillside Market, Flix, Towers Market, and Union Marketplace
- Espresso Bars - Lighty Cafe, CUE Café, Cleveland, and Northside
- Carlita's Mexican Grille
- Einstein Bros. Bagels
- Freshens Fresh Food Studio - Chinook
- Freshens Yogurt & Smoothies - CUB
- The Den at Northside Café
- Gridiron Burgers & Fries - CUB
- Reunion Coffee - CUB
- See Dining Services hours of operations.
To receive assistance with requesting or using funds, please contact the CougarCard Center in the Compton Union Building, Ground Floor, Room 60 during business hours Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. -5:00 p.m. The CougarCard Center can also be reached at 509-335-2273 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Dubick, J., Mathews, B., & Cady, C., “Hunger on Campus: The Challenge of Food Insecurity for College Students,” October 2016, http://studentsagainsthunger.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Hunger_On_Campus.pdf